Monday, April 15, 2013

Al'Qadim Session 4

Session 4
The party drops down into the darkness--to find themselves atop a heap of shattered stone piled into a gray, dusty heap at the intersection of three walls. Other than several small, round holes in the floor, both rooms are bare, offering no indication of how they might have once been used.

To the east, a wide, heavy slab of stone is set about knee-high off the ground. Atop the slab, the overseerer, Semiha Koroturk, fights for her life, wielding her scimitar furiously in one hand and her whip in the other. Against her are arrayed three animated skeletons, slightly larger than a human.
 DUNGEON MASTER: The sounds of her combat echoes through the chamber.
 LAZAR TARIQ: lazar reaches down his pants pulling out his wepon ready to charge into combat
 SUHRAN ATH’THALITHA: Suhran hisses with a sneer on his face as he notices the skeletons fighting against Semiha. "Scourge of the living. Avoid the raised dias in case it is hallowed ground and has some affect on the living."
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: SHould we help Semiha? or leave her to her fate.  I suspect we will need her, I don't hold any love for here but she is in the same predictament as us, perhaps we should help her
 SUHRAN ATH’THALITHA: "We should help her, give her a chance to prove her worth to us." Suhran draws his concealed blade as he charges forward to meet the skeletons in combat with his allies.
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: Raven pulls out her Short sword ready to go to her aid
 LAZAR TARIQ: Lazar charges in to the fray of combat wielding his slightly rusty dagger
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: As Raven charges in she keeps an eye out for other possible combatents
 DUNGEON MASTER: [Begin rounds]
 SUHRAN ATH’THALITHA: Suhran rushes forward to engage the skeleton as they strike out at Semiha.
To Hit (dagger): 1d20+2 = 7 THAC0
Damage (dagger): 1d4 = 2
 DUNGEON MASTER: Suhran's dagger is stymied somewhat by the unsuitability of piercing the empty bones, but still he manages to crack a few ribs that break and fall onto the floor.
 LAZAR TARIQ: lazar runs in next to suhran lashing out with his dagger at the creature in front of him

to hit 1d20+1=14 hit ac 6 dam 1d4+2=6
 DUNGEON MASTER: Lazar's dagger slashes down in an arc, smashing several more ribs and losening the thing's joints.
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: Raven goes in cautiously and attacks the skeleton that Lazar just attacked
Hit (Short sword): 1d20+4 =3 THAC0
Damage (dagger): 1d6+6 = 10
 DUNGEON MASTER: Raven deals terrific damage to her skeleton, almost but not completely destroying it.

One of the skeletons brings down its mace upon Semiha, drawing blood but not styming her in the slightest; her own sword lashes out and dashes the head off the skeleton in retaliation.

As before, she acknowledges the heroes with a look and a slight movement that might be a nod--or perhaps it might just be part of her motion as she dodges and weaves in an attempt to avoid being hit again.
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: Raven attacks the next Skeleton hoping to finish it off in one go:

Hit (Short sword): 1d20+4 = -3 THAC0
Damage (dagger): 1d6+6 = 12
 DUNGEON MASTER: Raven cleaves the thing through its spine--bones drop and rattle on the floor.
 SUHRAN ATH’THALITHA: Suhran moves forward to the side of Raven as he thrusts at the skeletons chest with his dagger.
To Hit (dagger): 1d20+0 = THAC0 6
Damage (dagger): 1d4 = 2
 DUNGEON MASTER: Suhran steps up and slashes with his dagger, cracking and breaking a few of the things bones in the process.
 LAZAR TARIQ: apon seeing the little efect the dagger has apon the skeleton lazar reaches for the club amongst the pile of bones before him.
 DUNGEON MASTER: The skeleton mechanically brings down its club, in a blow which is mostly deflected by Semiha's armor.

In return, she lashes out with her scimitar in an attack which only barely misses.
 SUHRAN ATH’THALITHA: Suhran ducks under the skeletons ridgid attack as he circles the skeleton before attempting to smash his dagger into it.
To Hit (dagger): 1d20+0 = THAC0 10
Damage (dagger): 1d4 = 3
 DUNGEON MASTER: Suhran's attack misses the thing, due more to the hastiness of the attack than the skill of the defense.
 LAZAR TARIQ: lazar moves in swinging his newly aquired club at the skeleton

attack 1d20-2=-1 hit ac 21
 DUNGEON MASTER: Lazar sucessfully hits the slab of stone next to Semiha.
 DUNGEON MASTER: The skeleton brings down its club again, striking Semiha in the shoulder. She brushes it off and pursues her objective, slashing out with her scimitar--only to miss the thing yet again.
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: Raven attacks the final Skeleton hoping to make it 2 from 2:
Hit (Short sword): 1d20+4 = 7 THAC0
Damage (dagger): 1d6+6 = 12
 DUNGEON MASTER: Raven's attack drives into the undead beast, knocking it backward and then shattering its spine. The thing falls to the ground in a heap of bones.
 DUNGEON MASTER: [off rounds]
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: Raven says to Semiha, Perhaps it would go better for all of us if we worked togehter at least for the time being, once we are safely out of here we can go our seperate ways
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: is you so wish to
 DUNGEON MASTER: Semiha clutches her side and the bitterness in her eyes lessens somewhat as she eyes the heroes.

"That would be well," she says, wincing as she holds her wound. "Truly our fate is ill this day."
 LAZAR TARIQ: lazar moves to cover semiha waiting for her answer to ravens question but dose his best ont to appear threatening
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: Raven says good, everyone keep an eye out.  Raven then checks the Skeltons for weapons or anything else that could be of use.
 LAZAR TARIQ: so long as that wip is not directed at us we should get along well lazar starts checking over what the skeletons have that may be usfull
 DUNGEON MASTER: The skeleton's skulls feature protruding triangular jaws; wide eye sockets; and enlongate, folding limb bones. Among the shattered bones lie two more clubs, much like the first--crude, half-rotted wood reinforced with metal and stone.
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: As she is searching Raven asks semiha if she has gained any knowledge being a supervisor that might help them right now.
 SUHRAN ATH’THALITHA: "Prior to this time we consider your actions the responsibility of the yak-men and not attributued to you." Suhran pockets a few handfuls of dust and a few of the smaller skeletons bone fragments as he regards Lazar, "You never know when dust from an ancient temple and bones from skeleton guardians could be necessary components to empower our spells. The gods can be fickle in such ways."
 DUNGEON MASTER: "My actions are my own," she replies proudly, but her mouth twists back into the familiar bitter smile. "I know nothing of what these creatures had planned; nothing that you do not, at any rate. They considered me as a herd dog, and you as a sheep--neither fit to confide in."
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: Very well, fair enough, we were all forced into our roles here.  You were clearly running towards something, was it chance or do you have an idea of how to get out of here or better defend ourselves against what is happening above?
 DUNGEON MASTER: "Overseers have weapons, but none fit to harm that... thing. I came down here seeking time to think, and perhaps a weapon that will avail me. Or failiing that, an honorable death."
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: WelL I Guess we start exploring and look for a way out...or a friend Raven says out loud but looks knowingly to his to slave companions
 LAZAR TARIQ: lazar takes one of the broken ribs hopeing to atempt to make a writeing implement out of it when the opertunity arises. lazar turns to Semiha "are you wounded badly. ore can you continue on."
 DUNGEON MASTER: "I can continue, most assuredly," she replies. However, it is obvious from the blood beneath her armor that she is not as well as she was a few moments ago.
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: Raven looks around to see if she can see if anyone has passed this way even if it was centuries ago
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: [65% in DUngeon like settings]
 DUNGEON MASTER: Raven discovers no tracks other than those obviously just caused by the skeletons.
 LAZAR TARIQ: do you think its would be possible to block the hole in the floor from above to prevent that thing frob getting down here?
 SUHRAN ATH’THALITHA: While Raven determines if any recent tracks are present, he carefully searches the small holes to determine if it was possibily trapped or if it conceals any items of interest.
 DUNGEON MASTER: The holes are no more wide than human fingers. Six of them sit on the floor of each of the two rooms. As he investigates, Suhran notices the sound of water from far below, as well as an odd croaking sound.

Lazar decides that there are two kinds of stone present in the rubble: the gray stone of the temple, and a blacker stone that he has not yet seen anywhere in the vicinity.
 DUNGEON MASTER: After a thourough investigation of the dust on the floor, Raven does spot an elvish-sized footprint that is too old to have been made by any of the recent intruders into the temple.
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: Raven suggests looking at all the open areas first and then try the doors
 DUNGEON MASTER: In the southern half of the room lies a gaping rent in the floor, as if the stonework itself gave way under some ancient upheaval.
 DUNGEON MASTER: As they approach the hole, the occasional sound of water splashing and the intermittent croak can be heard.
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: Raven suggests to the others to look down the hole to check for danger before passing it and continuing on
 DUNGEON MASTER: Several small cracks run all the way from the floor to the ceilling near the crack; however, the stone itself seems to be holding well.
 LAZAR TARIQ: the danger could come from behind the doors whilst where looking down the hole aswell but yes ok.
 SUHRAN ATH’THALITHA: "I agree, it would be best to proceed with caution and make the collapsed section is safe before we inspect the rooms," replies Suhran as he looks ahead at the hole in the floor.
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: Raven goes closer to the hole to looks down but ask Semiha if she would give her one end of her whips so she can help pull her to safety if needed.
 DUNGEON MASTER: Semiha obliges with a wry smile, as if the thought of using her whip to assist Raven amuses her.
 DUNGEON MASTER: Raven, stepping forward to peer into the hole, sees a pool of water about 40' below.  A ring of stone runs above the water line around the outer walls of the room.
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: Raven passes on what she has seen to her companions
 SUHRAN ATH’THALITHA: "I'm keen to keep my feet dry unless we have no other suitable alternative or option for going forward. Shall we explore these room that seem to surround the outer walls of the section for any items that could be of assistance to us?"
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: Raven listens and looks at the doors
 DUNGEON MASTER: Only the faintest of cracks in the gray stone indicate the outline of a rectangular doors along this side of the chamber.
 SUHRAN ATH’THALITHA: Suhran runs his hands across the hairline seem as he inspects how the door or portal should open. "It is fine craftsmanship, I'm not sure if these will open to mundane means or magical however we can always try to budge it with sheer strength. Let's put some weight into the door and test if it will open."
 DUNGEON MASTER: Pushing, pulling and shoving with all their might, the pair is able to eventually move the door slightly to the left, sliding it into the wall. The sound of clicking and grinding below the door provides evidence that some sort of mechanism is being forced against its intended use.
 SUHRAN ATH’THALITHA: Suhran carefully looks inside through the small gap provided for a release lever or switch to allow ease in opening the door the whole way.
 DUNGEON MASTER: Suhran sees no such mechanism. Judging by the sounds the machinery must lie to his left and near the floor.
 LAZAR TARIQ: prehaps we try the normal door first?
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: I agree, Clearly there must be a lever or mechanism around here that opens these doors
 SUHRAN ATH’THALITHA: "As stubborn and plain as a dwarf! It sounds like the door was meant to be opened from the other side or one of the other rooms? We may have more luck trying one of the rooms to the south first?"
 SUHRAN ATH’THALITHA: Suhran inspects this stone door for traps before giving it the approval to be opened.
 DUNGEON MASTER: Suhran locates no signs of any traps.
 SUHRAN ATH’THALITHA: "Looks free of traps however with craftsmenship this fine and no light source it is difficult to be absolutely certain."
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: I guess we try it and wear whtever happens.
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: Raven grabs the handle and tries the door listening and trying to see inside whilst being ready to shut it immediately if needed
 DUNGEON MASTER: A broad stone table cluttered with tools and half-worked chunks of gray stone dominates this room. In one corner sit several large pieces of stone stacked against the wall, some of which have been worked.

On the eastern wall a square block about three feet in each direction protrudes seamlessly from the wall.  A trio of buttons and a trio of small holes lie in its outward-facing surface.
 SUHRAN ATH’THALITHA: "Perhaps these holes are the kind of mechanism used to open the doors adjacent to us? My preferance is for the simple beauty of a handle to open a door however these frogmen seemed to enjoy a more complex design."
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: I think you might be right.  Perhaps we can use the hands of the skeltons to turn them?
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: Or should we not risk them?
 LAZAR TARIQ: lazar looks through the verios tools for anything that may be of use as a wepon or just something that may com in handy later on
 DUNGEON MASTER: The tools consist of mallets, nickers, punches, pitchers, irons, and bits--all are mostly old and rusted, but for one fine looking mallet with a lustrous silver-colored head.  Also there are several thin square tiles about the size of a human hand, all engraved with the same stylized toad with an outstretched tongue.
 SUHRAN ATH’THALITHA: "I am of the preferance to check these rooms in case they are storerooms for those working within this area. Perhaps these rooms are air tight it may have protected any items within we can take with us?"
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: I am game if you are, I think however we should take as much of this as we can including the mallet and the square tiles
 LAZAR TARIQ: lazar takes one of the tiels and the mallet tucking it into the top of his pants on the side and the tile on the other side.
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: Raven takes two of the tiles as well
 DUNGEON MASTER: Lazar now has an unseemly bulge in his pants.
 SUHRAN ATH’THALITHA: Suhran pockets two tiles into his trousers. "Does anyone have any objection to be attempting to manipulate the small holes with the frogmen bones to try and open the doors to our north?"
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: No I think it is agood idea!
 SUHRAN ATH’THALITHA: Suhran nods slightly as he kneels down and inserts one of the frogmen bones into the hole to see if this will activate one of the doors.
 DUNGEON MASTER: The finger bones are more or less the right size to plug the hole. However, nothing happens when Suhran inserts the first bone.
 SUHRAN ATH’THALITHA: Suhran sighs in frustration as his plan does not work as expected. He attempts to slowly rotate the bones to see if this will make any difference.
 SUHRAN ATH’THALITHA: Suhran inserts another two bones into the cavity provided in the stone wall.
 DUNGEON MASTER: Now all three holes are more-or-less plugged with finger bones.
 SUHRAN ATH’THALITHA: Suhran now pushes the stone buttons into the wall.
 DUNGEON MASTER: The buttons all press inword, moving easily under the pressure from Suhran's fingers. At once there is a loud click, and a hail of small needles flies toward the square stone block from a number of previously undiscovered holes in the western wall.

[Save vs. breath weapons or be hit with several long needles.]
 DUNGEON MASTER: All three heroes are painfully stuck with several long needles. [no hp damage.]
 SUHRAN ATH’THALITHA: "Don't I feel like the fool. I should have inspected that first in more detail before pulling all of them at the same time."
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: Raven suggests moving the blocks to protect them.  She also suggests examining the other walls to see if there are anymore darts on the other walls of the room
 LAZAR TARIQ: agreed lazar starts sirching the sothen wall for any sighn of traps or odd stone work
 LAZAR TARIQ: after pulling any darts out of his hide
 DUNGEON MASTER: The needles are painfull but easily removed. Lazar discovers nothing odd in the southern wall.
 RAVEN EAGLEHAWK: Raven looks for the possibility of more needles firing out of the other walls if a different combination is pressed.
 DUNGEON MASTER: Raven notices no other holes in any of the four walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment